Pages

Saturday, September 29, 2012

Church Experience


So I experienced a Catholic Mass for the first time today for a friends child's Christening. Here is my thoughts (and no, this is not a religious debate, just some thoughts that came to me while listening):

*-*-*

* I loved the Church. It wasn't the first time I had been in a church but it was the first time experiencing an actual Church ceremony. The church itself was beautiful and the stain glass was amazing. I loved the detail on all the statues and the high rooftop was gorgeous and breathtaking.

* When we walked in we were given a bible and a list of hymns to sing. Now, I am not religious so I felt a little uncomfortable in the first place but when I was given the Bible I felt like I should have turned tail and left. We sat in the back because if we felt a little uncomfortable we could leave.

* So much standing and sitting, standing and sitting, standing and sitting. Up and down, up and down, up and down. It was crazy. I felt sorry for the people with children and older people.

*When it came to the collection, I had to scrounge in the bottom of my bag to find some change ( I don't carry money, I'm a card person) so that I didn't look like a cheapskate. I found some change and was told "Bless you" when I gave it. Makes me wonder what they actually do with the money. When I did put the money in, I saw lots of envelopes. I found out when we were leaving that you could put your money in an envelope so that people didn't see how much you actually put in.

*The priest wasn't the most engaging. I expected a lot more engaging talk and such but it was mainly just him standing up every five minutes or so to say a prayer and let the other church members hop up and say stuff. He didn't really seem like he wanted to be there.*Since we were at the back we couldn't really see much and when people hopped up we were confused cause we couldn't see what was going on. A little unsetting cause I wanted to see everything and people kept standing and I couldn't see.

*Upon leaving, one of the church members came over and asked "Are you visiting us today?" and when I said we were here to see the Christening she nodded her head and walked away. Like I wasn't that important to talk to because I'm not a normal church goer. It was a little disheartening because I had thought that they may have said, "Oh well thank-you for joining us today" or something like that.


*-*-*

So that was my first Mass experience. Aside from getting up early and standing and sitting, I really dont see much point in going again. I'm all for people having their own beliefs and sure, I'll even go to Church for important events but I don't see myself getting up every Sunday early in the morning to go and sing and pray. Sorry, but that's just me.

No comments:

Post a Comment